Friday, November 6, 2020

New Release Sample: LIVING PROOF (that no good deed goes unpunished)

 Then I looked out through the flimsy curtains that separated the negligible backstage area from the tables, and realized we had a new problem.

"Where's my ramp?"


"It was there ten minutes ago." Ramon, the owner, looked about as relaxed as a 300-pound former bouncer could look with a full house just before the first show of the night.


He didn't look so relaxed five minutes later, when his two go-fers verified the ramp to let my wheelchair get up onto the stage had evaporated into thin air. We had exactly five more minutes until I had to get out there and do my routine. It took us three minutes to decide we couldn't get a board in time that was long enough, thick enough, and wide enough to improvise a ramp. It wasn't like I could back out at the last minute. This was my fifth performance at Ramon's club, and I had worked my way up to actually having my name on the mobile marquee out front. Chances were good at least a dozen of the people out there had come specifically to see me perform. And anyway, the understanding was that after five or six return performances, Ramon offered a contract of some kind. I needed that ego boost after the wretched day I had.


That left the only other option: roadies.


Honestly, I had been joking when I referred to Pete and Harry as my roadies, because I was mobile enough to get myself in and out of my Jeep, even without my telekinesis. But tonight, there was no way in the world I could get myself up onto that stage without visible, physical help. I was here to do a comedy routine and that contract for regular performances and some steady money was close enough I could taste it. Very attractive, now that I wanted badly to bail on my job at the Tattler. I certainly wasn't there to audition for a revival of the X-Files.


No comments: