Tuesday, September 8, 2020

New Release Sample: VIRTUALLY LONDON

Wednesday morning, the first week of June. I was on my way to Neighborlee High, where I was a sophomore. We only had three more days of classes before summer break, and I was running late, as usual. We had the Yearbook Staff thank-God-it's-over party to look forward to, and since Miss Lanie was our advisor, it was going to be good. I grabbed my backpack, jammed full of goodies for the party, and was looking over my shoulder as I headed for the door, yelling for Uncle Jinx to hurry up. He promised to drive me to school on his Harley on his way out of town. Jinx wanted to be as far away from Neighborlee as he could get when Senior Prank Night hit--the first Wednesday of June every year--so he wouldn't be blamed for whatever happened.


(Jinx got in major trouble with his Senior Prank, and the general consensus was that the idiots in the years that followed got in trouble trying to top what he did. What did he do? Something having to do with a pond in the Metroparks on Thursday where there wasn't a pond on Tuesday.)


I stepped out onto the front porch and almost tripped over Doni and her two pitiful little pieces of luggage. I stubbed my toe on her backpack full of books and jumped backwards, biting my tongue against a howl. I was barefoot, with my sneakers in my other hand. I planned on putting them on while I waited for Jinx to get his motorcycle.


No comments: