Tuesday, August 11, 2020

New Release Sample: SEMI-PSEUDO-SUPERHEROES

Ford Longfellow drove up as I was walking to the corner, to wait for Stephanie. She had to take care of the students working the snack bar and then get her car and come meet me. He was on his way to meet Kurt, after picking up keys to get into the dormitory through the service entrance and go straight to the roof, to see if he could sense anything. When I explained the things Stephanie overheard and remembered, he got that too-quiet, thoughtful look I had seen him wear the first time we faced something nasty in Neighborlee together.


"Yeah, kind of the same thing for me. I didn't remember dreaming about the dormitories until Kurt mentioned what you three found." He shook his head, and his lips worked for a second like he was getting ready to spit out a bad taste. "Something tells me you two shouldn't go out there alone. Abandoned houses are always bad news. Especially on that side of Darbyville. Ever been out there?"


I shook my head. He tipped his head up a little and looked past me, and I turned to see Stephanie pulling up in her Jeep.


"If you ever need proof there's a defensive dome surrounding Neighborlee, that's the place for it. Like night and day, different sides of the street where the border between our two towns runs down the middle. Do me a favor, and wait for me and Kurt to catch up with you? And stay on our side of the street until we get there?"


I agreed. He tipped a salute off his eyebrow to Stephanie and drove off. I got in her Jeep and told her what Ford had told me. I hesitated to suggest we go get Angela and bring her with us. The thought of taking Angela to a place Ford Longfellow didn't like made me feel kind of queasy. That's the only way to explain it.

No comments: