Friday, June 12, 2020

The Adventure: YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO LEARN (but that doesn't mean it won't HURT!)

Right now I'm at the end of Week 2 of the Book Launch Blueprint, taught by Thomas Umstattd Jr., Jim Rubart, and Mary Demuth.

Maybe you've heard me screaming a few times over the last two weeks, late at night, asking the Universe: WHY did I think I could write a new book, handle the day job of freelance editing and take this course all at the same time?

It's a fascinating course, on all the things a writer needs to do to prepare for a book launch. All the options and resources and tools to use to get the word out, to get visible, to get people talking.

Things I should have figured out and should have been doing years ago.

Big confession time: I'm a CAVE TROLL. I long for the "good old days" when writers sat in their garrets or dungeons and did nothing but write, and left the promotion, the advertising, to their publishers. *sigh*

NO MORE!

Did I say fascinating? Yes, but terrifying and frustrating. I'm constantly having to shut up the troll at the back of my head that keeps whining, "But I don't WANNA! It's SCAREY! I don't have TIME!"

On the plus side, I figured out a few "Well DUH!" things, like I need to have my biography and a press kit of sorts posted on my blog and my website, in case readers want to learn about me, and not just my books. I need to make it possible for readers who visit my site and check out my books to BUY IMMEDIATELY -- meaning set up buy links they can click on, right then and there. I'm set up for that now, but it's gonna take time to get the coding for all those links.

Because if you haven't looked lately, honey ... I got a TON of books out there.

And nobody is buying them because I don't make it easy, or they just don't know the books are there.

But that's about to change. As soon as I get a couple rush editing jobs done, and finish this course.

Hold me to it!!

Check out the Novel Marketing Podcast, and Author Media, for more information.

No comments: