Wednesday, January 29, 2020

New book in THREE days! A MATCH (NOT) MADE IN HEAVEN

Coming February 1 from Mt. Zion Ridge Press:

Excerpt #2:

When we were loading our haul into Reggie’s SUV, my phone rang. I turned it around to show her the display, which read Match. She gave me a thumbs up.

“Dinah, honey, it’s Gertie,” she crooned when I answered. “Sweetheart, I have a match for you. Isn’t that great?”

“It sure is. Umm, how come Zach is having you call me?”

This was the first time Gertie had called me. For some reason, little prickles of warning raced up and down my spine.

“Oh, honey, this has nothing to do with the job matching. I’m talking about the matchmaking service. I found a nice young man who really wants to meet you.”

“Gertie --”

“And the timing is just perfect, what with it being New Year’s tomorrow.”

“Gertie, I don’t --”

“He wants to take you out for New Year’s Eve. So can I give him your phone number?”

“Gertie!”

This time, I got through, stopping the flood of words. My volume made some icicles break off the awning of the store.

“Is that a yes?” she said, after a couple seconds of silence.

“Gertie, I did not sign up for matchmaking. Just the job matching.”

Reggie’s eyes got wide and she mouthed, “matchmaking?” She grinned and continued loading the back of the SUV.

“But honey, don’t you want to go out with a nice young man for New Year’s? Start the year off right. Falling in loooove!” she crooned, and ended on a giggle. 

I had the feeling this nice little old lady with her eye-watering taste in clothes had already started in on the New Year’s champagne. Then again, I suspected she could get a buzz from non-alcoholic sparkling grape juice.

No comments: