Saturday, December 23, 2017

BLADE OF INNOCENCE, Highlander the TV series fan fiction

Excerpt from Chapter 10 of the fan novel now available on Wattpad:

            "Got a minute?" Duncan said, stepping up to the bar. 

            Joe's Place wasn't open yet Tuesday morning, but the door was unlocked for the employees to come in.  For the moment, Joe was alone at the counter, working on the same beer tap that had been giving him trouble for the last month.

            "A few."  Joe glanced up, smiling.  His smile froze and then faded.  Duncan realized how he had to look;  stiff posture, the extra lines around his mouth.  "Problem?"

            "I don't know yet.  It depends on what you say."

            "Uh oh."  He tried to smile again.  "Something I did?"


            "Joe, I know you try not to interfere with my life.  It makes things awkward, being friends when you're my Watcher.  I appreciate it."

            "Big problem."

            "Did you tell that kid to get close to Darcy Porter?"

            "What kid?"  Joe put down the screwdriver and rested both hands on the bar.  Duncan had his complete attention now.

            "Andy somebody."

            "Andy Blaine?"  He flinched, visibly realizing too late he had given away too much. 
         "I assume since Martha is his grandmother, she's Josh's Watcher."  Duncan tried to smile.  "Don't worry -- I'm not asking and I won't do anything about it either way."

            "Thanks," Joe said with a wry grin.  Then a moment later his eyes widened and his grin faded.  "What do you mean, get close to Darcy?  Like recruiting her?"

            "I hope he isn't.  I haven't heard what he's been saying to her.  Hopefully it's just a lot of romantic mush."

            "Romantic."  He rested both hands on the edge of the bar.  "Are you telling me that boy is romancing the daughter of an Immortal?  He should know better than that."

            "Something wrong with that?"  Duncan tried to look innocent when he felt great relief.  His instincts had not been wrong.  "Darcy's a nice girl."

            "I'm gonna kill him," Joe muttered.

No comments: