Monday, January 7, 2013

Off the Book Shelf: THRONE OF GLASS

One of my goals for this year is to read at least ONE book every week.

So, I want you to keep me accountable. If a book report doesn't show up here every Monday, contact me and ask, okay?

I have a LOT of books I need to take off my book shelf!

Here's the first book I've read in the new year:

THRONE OF GLASS
Fantasy
Sarah J. Maas

This was one of the Free Book Fridays books from Barnes & Noble. I'm glad I downloaded it!

Essentially, Celaena Sardothien, a "mere" girl of 18, is a notorious assassin. Problem: She was betrayed and captured, and has spent far too long enslaved in a death camp, the Salt Mines of Endovier. Too long, because most people are simply expected to die, either from the conditions, abuse, or trying to escape. First hint that Celaena is one tough chick, in body and mind.

Then one day, she is dragged out of the depths of the mines and comes face-to-face with Dorian, Crown Prince of Adarlan. He has a proposition: compete to become King's Champion. If she wins, she will serve 4 years, then have her freedom. If she loses, back to Endovier she goes. Problem: many courtiers are entering competitors, and they're the scum of the earth, thieves and mercenaries, assassins and brutes.

Celaena accepts his proposal -- what other choice does she have? As she regains her strength and learns to navigate on the fringes of the court, she learns that even though magic has been outlawed by the king, it's not all gone. Someone is cheating. Someone is murdering. And then there's all that disgusting court intrigue she has to deal with. Everybody is a liar. Including Celaena -- because there are things in her past, secrets she has forgotten through trauma, or chosen to forget for the sake of survival.

I certainly hope the author comes out with another book to answer some of the questions left hanging at the end of this story! There is a list of short e-reads at the back of the book, prequels to this one. I'm very tempted to download them.

When my to-be-read list is a little bit shorter..........

No comments: